Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Songs I Really SHOULDN'T Admit To Liking....

The Songs I Really SHOULDN'T Admit To Liking

In no particular order....

"Piece Of Me" by Britney Spears

I was fifteen years old and swore off top 40 in favor of rock. A few years later, Britney (my one time idol, roughly a decade ago) goes nuts, then makes a comeback with this horribly infectious, attitude-driven, kiss-my-crazy-ass sucker punch to the whole media outlet. And I do like it.

"Ridin' Dirty" by Chamillionaire featuring Krayzie Bone

I like it. I shouldn't, but I could definitely cruise Main Street with this going full blast. (Of course then I'd have to recover my street cred immediately thereafter by driving back down the street blasting Killswitch Engage.)

"Gasolina" by Daddy Yankee

OK, this song is awesome because it's all in Spanish, for the muthafuckin' win perras. (Bitches, for my peeps out there with no Spanish skills.) Although the girl in the background who constantly says, "Dame mas gasolina," ("Give me more gasoline/fuel") is fucking annoying as Hell.

"Emergency" by Paramore

I actually have several objections to Paramore - first and foremost the fact that they are a fucking pathetic excuse for a punk band and Hayley Williams' awesomely bad dye job. But this is actually a good song.

"Motown Philly" by Boyz II Men

This song is fucking awesome. You can't deny that shit. This song makes me wanna break out into an all-out B-girl battle. Too bad I can't breakdance.

"Bleeding Love" by Leona Lewis

I don't know why I really shouldn't like this song. Oh wait, yeah I do - 'cause it's fucking over-played and on every Abercrombie & Fitch girl's MySpace page. But I do love it. Oh, and I honestly can't deny this - Leona can sing.

"Salt Shaker" by the Ying Yang Twins featuring Lil Jon

This song has one Hell of a way of covering up extremely explicit sexual references in such a clever way that it gets very minimal censoring on the radio. Good job, boys.

"Like A Prayer" by Rufio

Yes, THAT "Like A Prayer." And I usually don't take to liking ANY attempt at covering any of The Queen Of Pop's songs, but Rufio punked this one out pretty fuckin' well.

"Ladies" by Sarai

A white rapper girl from upper New York who happened to get one hit on radio with "Ladies" - and gave all us other white rapper chicks someone to look up to. (That's right, I could once pull off one Hell of a freestyle.) The lyrics are somewhat....hmmmm....not mundane, just a bit cliche, perhaps? But it's actually a good song!

"Crank That" by Soulja Boy

I had this dance down-pat in December of '07, I swear. Oh, and it's catchy as Hell. (YOOOOUUUUUUU!!!!)

Any Rihanna Song

I have strong objections to Rihanna because she is a prime example of someone who can't really sing but managed to pack a deal anyway and become a huge star, but her songs are catchy, I'll give her that.

"Miss Independent" by Kelly Clarkson

Oh shit, this song was (and still is) so fucking catchy, and I think could definitely apply to me, at least at that point in my life. Oh, and the fact that it was co-written by my all-time favorite sing, Christina Aguilera, doesn't hurt. It was intended for her album "Stripped," but was later scrapped - and Kelly ended up with it. She did one Hell of a job with it, too.

"Can't Take That Away" by Mariah Carey

This song holds a very special meaning to me. I have to give it up to Mariah - these lyrics are deep and very inspiring. Her vocal shortcomings are obvious in this song, but it is VERY good.

"The Perfect Fan" by The Backstreet Boys

A song that Brian Littrell wrote for his Mom, it always reminds me of my Grandma. She was the first person who believed in any of my talents, namely the first one, the one I have the biggest passion for - singing. She was, and always will be, The Perfect Fan.

"Untouched" by The Veronicas

They are a prime example of singers who got a record deal based solely on sex appeal, but I love this song. Argh! It's gonna be stuck in my head now....

And we'll save the most shameful for last....

"Shadow" by Ashlee Simpson

I have MASSIVE OBJECTIONS to Ashlee Simpson. First and foremost, she can't sing that well. Well, at the very least, she tries to sing with more power than what she actually has. (Hun, you're not a dramatic soprano, you're a soubrette, live with it.) I do love this song though, 'cause damn, it's just like I was when I was a kid. "Living in the shadow of someone else's dream," that was me as a kid. Maybe I still am, but who knows? Anyway, I just love to hate Ashlee Simpson....and I hate to love this song.

No comments: