Wednesday, October 8, 2008

I caught a lite sneeze.

I was sitting here at my computer yesterday, writing, chugging coffee, chain-smoking, and listening to Tori Amos. Something occurred to me.

I think you have a be a certain "type" of person to appreciate Tori Amos' music. Her talents are undeniable, but she's certainly not everyone's cup of tea. She's versatile and I like to say that Tori Amos is the piano's answer to Jimi Hendrix. Jimi Hendrix had the ability to play a song back on guitar by ear after hearing it only once. Tori has that ability with the piano (which explains why she's got such amazing talent).

Tori Amos is one of the few artists that I can put on and be able to sit, chill, and listen to the music without being distracted. I can lay in bed and listen to her and not be itching to do something else - writing, reading, playing around on the computer - I don't want it if I'm listening to her. Listening to Tori's music is a hobby in and of itself, for me.

Her music is laden with metaphors. You have to have a word and/or art-driven mind to really get her music, I think. It won't make much sense to someone who must think logically 100% of the time. Everyone I know who appreciates Tori's experimental style are artists, musicians, writers, actors, all that nice stuff. Her overall sound isn't for everyone either - she's EXPERIMENTAL, so she's not going to sound like every other Joe and Jane in music. I could play it for one person and they'd completely get it, and then I could play it for another and they'd say, "This is the WEIRDEST shit I've ever heard."

I guess I'm lucky that when my friend Lanie introduced me to Tori Amos, I was one of the first types of people. I completely get it.

Lanie went "Atchoo!" and I caught a lite sneeze. (And you'd have to be a Tori fan to get that reference.)

This is the video to her song "Crucify," which is probably her most recognizable to the general public. (Tori's following is sort of cult - I know a lot of people who've never even heard of her.) This song is actually one of her more mainstream-friendly songs.

No comments: